* UPDATE 8/9/2018 * The Rogue River Basin Project office and the Cole M. Rivers Fish Hatchery are closed to the public. Be advised that fire crews are active in the vicinity, and air quality is currently in the 'unhealthy' range. US Army Corps of Engineers recreation areas at Elk Creek and Lost Creek Reservoir remain closed to non-fire personnel. Joseph Stewart State Park, Lost Creek Marina, and Casey State Recreation Site are OPEN to the public. Visit the Lost Creek Lake Facebook page to follow up to date information.
PORTLAND, Ore. – All U.S. Army Corps of Engineers recreational areas at Elk Creek and Lost Creek Lake are officially closed to all non-fire personnel until further notice due to wildfires. Several wildfires in the Medford area spread overnight and have forced an active response by fire crews. The following locations are officially closed:
- McGregor Park, visitor center, Bridge Hole and surrounding fishing areas
- McGregor boat ramp and all fishing areas at the Cole M. Rivers Fish Hatchery
- River’s Edge Park and picnic shelter
- Rogue River Basin Project Office, the dam and surrounding fishing areas
- Takelma Day Use and Boat Ramp areas
- Four Corners campground
- Fire Glen campground
- Lost Creek trailhead and trail
- Lewis Road trailhead and trail
- Catfish Cove
- Peyton Bridge trailhead and trail
- Medco fishing access
- Spillway fishing access
- Big Butte Creek and Viewpoint Mike trailheads and trails
- All of the Rogue River Trail surrounding Lost Creek Lake, including all sections of trail from the base of the dam to Highway 62
- All of Elk Creek north of Highway 62
“In an effort to keep everyone safe and protect as much of our public land and natural resources as possible, we encourage everyone to adhere to these closures and allow fire personnel to do their job and put out these fires,” said Jesse Huber, Rogue River Basin natural resource manager. “Endangering your life to access these recreation areas is not worth it.”
Follow the Lost Creek Lake Facebook page (www.facebook.com/corpslostcreek) for up-to-date information on the wildfires and closures. For more information, please call the Rogue project at 541-878-2255 or email dll-cenwp-Rogue-Rangers@usace.army.mil.
“Thank you all for your patience and understanding during this time,” added Huber.
The Portland District operates the William L. Jess Dam at Lost Creek Lake, the Applegate Dam and the Elk Creek Project within the Rogue River basin. Each contributes to a water resource management system that provides flood risk management, fish and wildlife management, irrigation, municipal and industrial water supply, hydropower, recreation and improved water quality.
Release no. 18-040