Tillamook Bay is on the Oregon coast, 50 miles south of the Columbia River.
The Army Corps of Engineers owns and maintains two jetties at Tillamook Bay’s entrance. The north jetty was constructed first in 1914 with south jetty construction beginning decades later in 1969. The Corps has made repairs to both jetties due to damage from the Pacific Ocean’s powerful waves continually smashing against them.
The north jetty was reconstructed and extended it to its full, authorized 5,700-foot length in 1931. In 2004, The Corps constructed a revetment to help prevent shoreline erosion and protect the vulnerable north jetty root. Corps contractors rebuilt the north jetty head in 2010, stabilizing the jetty at 5,213 feet. The repaired head is broader, higher and more substantial to withstand the powerful waves. The stones used for the repairs weigh between 25 to 50 tons each.
The south jetty was authorized in 1965 with completion of the first segment in 1971. The Corps completed the second segment in 1974 and the third and final segment in 1979. The 1,500-foot third segment brought the south jetty to its full authorized length of 8,000 feet.
The Corps of Engineers does not maintain recreation facilities at this location. Stay off the jetties as they are hazardous and not intended for recreational use. Nearby adjacent recreational facilities fall under the jurisdiction of private, local or state agencies. Learn more about jetties and why they are unsuitable for recreation at Understanding Coastal Jetties.