Light refers to the solar energy utilized by plants in photosynthesis, termed "photosynthetically active radiation" (PAR).
The figure at right shows eelgrass density at various elevations PAR levels in Willapa Bay, Washington, and Coos Bay, Oregon (Thom et al. 2003).
Stressors that affect light:
- Extreme climatic events
- Marinas and overwater structures
- Volcanic activity
- Wastewater discharges
Ecosystem structures that are affected by light:
- Scrub-shrub forest emergent marsh
- Mud / sand flats
- Submerged aquatic vegetation
Interactions and equations:
- Turbidity vs. sub-aquatic vegetation density
- Light attenuation vs. Secchi depth