The Coquille River rises in Oregon's Coast Range and flows westerly for 100 miles, emptying into the Pacific Ocean at Bandon, Ore., 225 miles south of mouth of Columbia River and 420 miles north of San Francisco Bay.
There are two jetties at the mouth of the Coquille River. The south jetty is 2,700 feet long; the north is 3,450 feet long. There is a channel 13 feet deep from the sea to a point one mile upstream from the old Coquille River lighthouse. Project authorization also calls for removing snags from the channel up to the highway bridge at Coquille. The jetties were completed in 1908 and the entrance channel in 1933. The north jetty was rebuilt in 1942, extended in 1951, and repaired in 1956. The south jetty was repaired in 1954. Restoration of the historic Coquille lighthouse was completed in 1976.
The Port of Bandon constructed a boat basin facility in conjunction with a protective breakwater and 300-foot-long entrance channel, under Section 107 authorization in 1985.
The Corps of Engineers does not maintain recreation facilities at this location. Please stay off the jetties as they are hazardous and not intended for recreational use. Nearby and/or adjacent recreational facilities fall under the jurisdiction of private, local or state agencies. Learn more about jetties and why they are unsuitable for recreation at Understanding Coastal Jetties.